5.29.2008

The Voice of Heart An Intimate Invitation, A book meme


A book meme!

A few days ago, my new friend Anne at Anno's blog tagged me for this book meme. This is my first book meme, and my second meme all together.

Here are the rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book.
2. Open to page 123
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people, and acknowledge who tagged you.

I woke up this morning and remembered Anne's tagging me. I looked at the book next to the bed and smiled to use it, for it is written by my dear friend; Neil Steven Cohen.

The book is called: The Voice of Heart, An Intimate Invitation.
Ok, so I am partial, Neil has been a close friend since we were teenagers. This does not exaggerate the powerful transformational practice he has developed that he calls "Psycho-spiritual Integrative Awakening". Using this new psychology of awakening, people are learning to navigate their awareness into a direct experience of the heart as they integrate their psychological and spiritual nature. I love his work and have had the pleasure of studying with him and in his groups.

So I turned to page 123, there were not five sentences, so I went on to the next page:

The moment you lean outward, away from the natural and effortless dignity of your Origin, in your innocent search for fulfillment in the world around you, this is the moment you create fear! The moment you reach forward to grasp, out of an inner sense of lack, this is the exact moment you create fear. Fear is always a fear of loss.

This is timely for me. A couple weeks ago I posted my tale with photos of finding a large black bear in the meadow. While I sat watching the bear I was calm and thankful for the experience. The next morning pepper spray on hip I wandered to the exact spot I saw the bear, hoping to see its footprint size and more evidence as to what it was up to. I must tell you my heart was pitter pattering as though I had a drummer making wild music in there. I saw no bear, it was the 'fear' of maybe seeing the bear that inspired discomfort.

I have always found fear interesting, as often it is based on thoughts or our imagination. Reading Neil's words is very supportive, in this case the last line explains it all, fear of the loss of my life. But there was no bear that morning.

Now I am suppose to tag five people. I just don't know who to tag after tagging five people so recently with the last meme. So, if you read this and would enjoy doing it, please let me know in my comment section, for I would love to know what you are reading!

11 comments:

  1. This sounds like an interesting book, one meant to be read slowly, carefully absorbed. The idea that fear signals not just risk, but a potential for transformation is intriguing.

    I loved the accompanying photograph -- at first I thought I was looking at a very expensive piece of emerald jewelry.

    Thanks again for playing along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammie Lee: This was a fun one: I did it back in February. Here's the link to the monthly archive: http://murat11.blogspot.com/2008_02_01_archive.html

    Just scroll down to February 16th.

    I liked the quote you memed.

    You do know that memes are more addictive than root beer floats and dark chocolate, yes?

    Peace, Montanan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne:
    You are so right, at least for me it is a book to take my time with. If one feels what is being said it came be a deep and tender journey in to oneself!

    Murat11:
    I will let you know if memes become addictive..... you make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that photo up top. What is it of?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eve,

    The photo is a close up of tiny bubbles flowing down a creek in the woods I live in.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well this bood sounds really interesting.
    I've done this meme before too. I unfortunately picked up a scientific book of my husbands. Those authors gve meaaning to the words "run on sentences". Honestly, writing 30 word sentences! @@

    What a great picture on your post! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tammie, thanks for stopping in my blog and your nice comments.
    You have a good one; interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. did this once before and it was very interesting, may do it again for fun...will let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Abigail forwarded your blog space/ newsletter to me and I have found it to be my solstice breath of fresh air, akin to the wind that surprised me earlier as I lay in my hammock drinking in the day.

    I have never heard of a book meme. So I did it. Twice. Two very different outcomes. The second is this: from "A New Earth" by Eckhart Tolle.

    People unknowingly sabotage their own work when they withold help or information from others or try to undermine them lest they become more successful or get more credit than "me". Cooperation is alien to the ego, except when there is a secondary motive. The ego doesn't know that the more you include others, the more smoothly things flow and the more easily things come to you."

    Isn't that apropo to what just happened here. I am so grateful for my community of sisters who share the spiritual realm just by being open and free with themselves. Thank you for sharing! May I bookmark your site?

    And maybe you'll get a kick out of this one, too, the first one. It took me by surprise. It is from "The Amber Spyglass" by Philip Pullman:
    "She smiled. Will very nearly smiled in response, because he was so unused to the sweetness and gentleness a woman could put into a smile, and it unsettled him. "Yu're Will," she said in that low, intoxicating voice." Comparing those two could make for an interesting thought - or not.
    Christine Drury

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Christine,

    So lovely of you to visit. Fun that you took the meme to heart and shared your outcome. Both of which I enjoyed very much.

    Yes book mark me!
    Visit often, visitors are a huge part of a blog, for me! What would I be without you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a timely quote for me too Tammie. I am hereby dedicated to a path of heart, and when something isn't easy, then I will know I have fallen from my path, and shall close my eyes and feel my way back onto it. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Warm greetings to you~

Thank you for visiting and also for sharing your thoughts and feelings. Seeing through your eyes and heart mean so much to me!

Tammie